Otter Creek Animal Shelter Foster Program
The goal of the Otter Creek Animal Shelter Foster Program is to provide an interim, in-home environment for pets who need special attention or a break from the shelter environment. Some pets may need a temporary home for a few days; others may need a few months.
Foster program needs include:
- Giving adult cats a break from the shelter until they are adopted – typically our longest resident cat or cats who aren’t coping well in the shelter environment.
- Socializing animals who aren't completely comfortable with humans - typically puppies, kittens and small caged pets, but may also apply to adult animals. Foster families who help to 'socialize' pets will do so under the guidance of our director and staff.
- Caring for "special cases" - Pets who need a calm and quiet home environment for recovery following surgery, neglect or injury.
The Otter Creek Animal Shelter will conduct a home inspection for all new foster homes. The shelter will provide approved needed veterinary care. We ask foster partners to provide food, water and litter.
- Fill out an application
- A reference check will be conducted
- A home visit will be scheduled to identify any hazards and to access what age, size and type of pet would best fit the foster family’s lifestyle.
- All current pets in the home must be spayed or neutered and be current on vaccinations.